Monday, April 26, 2010

80s education.

So, Yes, I am obsessed with 80s movies.
It is official.
I am constantly trying to get my hands on the best movies made in the 80s. 93% of all 80s movies were released before I was born. (well assuming that there is a equal distribution throughout the year of when movies are released- which is, of course, not true.)
I love the 80s. I think the conglomeration of styles patterns and changes that happened in the 80s gave rise to the "create your own style" that we see today.

I re-watched the Back to the Future trilogy this week. i loved it. Matthew Fox and Christopher Lloyd. Was a seriously unbeatable team. My favorite part was when they visit the year 2015. The styles were super ridiculous. It seemed far into the future then, just as 2040 does to us now.

This is what the screenplay depicted the future as....
(notice the flying train engines on the Doc's "futuristic" shirt! -shout out to the third installment in the trilogy.)


Ok so seriously, what do you think the year 2040 will be like?
I think that we will drown in electronic cords for things that need to be charged. Hopefully we will have a cleaner energy source, especially for cars. I unfortunately think that Paper books will be a novelty item, bordering on obsolete. (I am sad about this. No matter how cool the Kindle and the Ipad are, I just still LOOOOVVVVEEE shelves lined with books!) I seriously don't even want to think about what popular music will sound like in 2040. but I think that the tree decades preceeding the year 2040 will bring us unimaginable electronic change. unimaginable. But it will be a reality.
Don't you agree?

xoxo
Stephanie
(PS I'm open to many suggestions for 80s movies- the education will continue!)

1 comment:

  1. I have quite a few movies from the 80's.
    I would recommend Better Off Dead. It's one of John Cusack's best and 80's humor in it's purest form.

    The thing I think is interesting about that particular scene in Back to the Future is the fact that there is an obvious 50's/80's influence in Marty's jacket (and most of the other clothes...). To me that's just evidence that looking "into the future" is incredibly difficult. Not to mention the fact that fashion and music tend to swing back into style every couple decades.

    I really don't think 2040 will be so different. Sure, our kids might be listening to some weird funky fresh music, but I'm not even sure that will be so different. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete