Monday, October 3, 2011

Tomato Basil

I love the Tomato Basil soup at Zupas. (Who doesn't.)  But I really dislike tomatoes. I've tried a recipe before, but it came out to tomatoey for me. Tonight I tried to get as close as I could to the Zupas Recipe!

This is what I came up with:










Zupas Copy-Cat Tomato Basil Soup
4 diced tomatoes
4 cups tomato juice
3 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
14 fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup orozo pasta
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 a sick of butter
1/3 cup brown sugar.
(no judging)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Put tomatoes, juice, water and bouillon into a large stock pot. Simmer or Boil until mixture is thick. about 30 min.
Puree in blender with basil leaves.
Return to pot.
Add orozo, cream, butter and brown sugar and cook until pasta is tender. (Do not boil.)
Add salt and pepper as desired.
I served mine with bread crumbs to give it some texture.

It came out pretty darn close to the zupas original. I have noticed that theirs is very sweet and creamy.
If anyone out there tries this please let me know how it goes! I'd love to hear about any other ingredients used!

No comments:

Post a Comment